Sunday, September 14, 2008

Be Vewy Vewy Kwiet...

I'm hunting jobs. Hopefully I'll have more success than Elmer.

The job list for English Departments came out on Friday, and by now I've gone through the first postings and printed off the jobs I think I'll apply for. I'm putting the bar pretty high--there are just over 40 jobs right now that I'll send applications to. It's a daunting thing--there are some jobs in places I'm not sure I'd really want to live, but then again I can pretty much be happy anywhere, as long as I've got my wife and my dog with me. And I'm somewhere where I can do things outside. Ideally, if we're not on a coastline, I'd like to be somewhere that has a nice University golf course that I can join and start playing golf again. That would be an acceptable alternative to the coast, especially since there aren't many jobs on the East Coast. There are a few in Taxachussettes and a couple in Conneticut, but not much beyond that. There weren't many at all in Virginia, NC, or SC, which made me kinda sad. But there was also one in Atlanta, which would be pretty cool. We have lots of friends in Atlanta, and it's a pretty fun town.

Anyway, deadlines aren't until early November (except for one job I saw that had an Oct 15 deadline), so there's some time until I hear anything at all. But it's starting.

We're going to need a bigger boat.

I don't know why I said that, but it sounds ominous. Scary. Ohhhhh.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Exciting and scary; keep us posted.

In a related note (that I am willing to post because Sarah is just a pop-culture-deprived as I am), I just saw _Jaws_ for the first time a couple of weeks ago. It's a fantastic movie! (Yeah, yeah, I know I've been in a cave all my life....)

Sarah said...

Haha--okay even I've seen Jaws, but you're right, I am totally pop-culture deprived. I'd never seen any transformers cartoons until last summer when Dan made me watch them. Sorry, babe, we're using you're blog to have a conversation that has nothing to do with you or jobs. Go Dan! Yay!