Saturday, September 20, 2008

MMM...Donuts.

In case you didn't know, I'm from North Carolina, a state that has a pretty serious donut pedigree. Krispy Kreme, the standard for all mass-produced donuts, was started in Winston-Salem. (Don't come to me with your weak-ass Dunkin' Donuts. They may have good coffee, but their donuts are crap).


But in Carolina Beach, about 25 minutes from Wilmington, lives the best donut in the world. It beats Krispy Kreme with a stick and then humps it through it's hole (did I have to go there? Yeah.). Anyway, this bad-ass donut is a Britt's Donut, and if you've ever had one, you know the truth of which I speak.

Britt's is down on the boardwalk in Carolina Beach, surrounded by some pretty questionable looking stuff. I've got love for CB, but it's still pretty red. Sorry, but it is. Britt's is worth the trip though. We usually make one trip down there when we stay at the Seaside Club, and whenever people find out we're going, they place orders. Everyone loves Britt's. The thing about Britt's is that they make donuts right, by hand. They roll them themselves, right there in front of you, and fry them in these big cauldrons of oil that look like something I want to own. They flip them with big sticks and get them out of the oil with those same sticks, making a big stack of donuts that reminds me of the little ring toy that little kids have (you remember what I'm talking about)?

These donuts are the best straight out of the oil--best eaten right there on the boardwalk either with a styrofoam cup of milk or a Pepsi (no coke) with crushed ice. Soooo good. But if you take them home, they won't be as good. As Mrs. Britt told my mom this year, "Our donuts don't keep 'cause we don't put no crap in them." How true.



Britt's is only open during the summer, so you've missed it if you haven't been yet. But if you find yourself in southeastern NC or northeastern SC next summer, make a trip. It's worth it.

1 comment:

Anna said...

Thank you, I now have to clean drool off my keyboard.