Friday, May 23, 2008

I want to ride my...bicycle

I figured when I thought about doing a triathlon that the bike part would be one of the easiest. It's a bike. You learn to ride it when you're little, and even if you don't ride it for a long time, you still know how. Like they say, "it's just like riding a bike" -- which signifies something you can pick up again really quickly. So even though I haven't ridden my bike in a long time, I figured it would be no big deal.

Boy was I wrong. I rode about 7.5 miles yesterday, and it was not easy. Granted, I wasn't riding a road bike on smooth pavement, I was on my old rusty mountain bike on a gravel trail, but it was still more difficult (and tiring) that I thought it would be. If there's something that would prevent me from getting through this triathlon, it's going to be the bike part.

The most frustrating thing about it is that I know my bike is a piece of crap, but I can afford to shell out $500 for a road bike to do this thing. Maybe one day, but not now. And I don't really want to show up at the even with my old crappy mountain bike, especially if I'm the only one who's riding one. People say for your first triathlon as long as the bike has two wheels and moves you're okay, but I don't buy it. We'll see how training goes. It's right at 7 miles from my house to Taylor on the road, so I'll bike that some time next week on my crappy bike and see how it is. That might be the deciding factor of if I do the race in June.

No comments: