Tuesday, May 20, 2008

One Year

I realized this this blog was in danger of becoming my personal rant space -- most of my posts dealt with the "lows" of writing a dissertation instead of the "highs." I think that's because I'm the time of person who really hates complaining, and I try not to do it out loud. But I've always liked writing things down as a way of getting them of my chest, and I think I was starting to do that here. That's why I wasn't writing often, and when I did it was a way to vent. I realized this when one of our good friends who lives in another state asked my wife if I was doing okay after my last post. I don't want to be that negative guy, so I'm going to start making the effort to temper my frustrations with more good things.

First up: yesterday was my wife and my one-year anniversary! It's been a wonderful year -- everything the first year of marriage should be. It had its ups and downs, so wonderful times together and some knock-down-drag-out fights. But that's all great. We had a great anniversary weekend. Friday night we went to go see IRON MAN -- it's pretty damn fun. Saturday night we went to eat at this new restaurant on the Square called PRIME (check it out here). I went and got a florist to recreate a small version of my wife's bouquet for the table, and had flowers put over a piece of cake to make it look like our wedding cake since our frozen top piece is 6 hours away. It was a wonderful dinner -- it's pricey (I think it's more expensive than City Grocery) but if you want a steak, it's spot on.

Sunday we had a nice easy day, and yesterday my wife made me a wonderful breakfast (orangey breakfast crab cakes she found in this cookbook, A Real American Breakfast). Then she made me a great dinner -- grilled jerk chicken sandwiches with hot pepper relish (like we had in Jamaica), grilled corn, tomato salad, and homemade key-lime pie. It was fantastic.

Just like my wife.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right on man. Alexis and I just celebrated our third. Drew and Solms must be going on 4. (is that right? or is it 5?) Time flies.